Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Review: NYC HD Color Trio

Luna's Makeup Box

I actually found out that I qualified for an Influenster Jolly VoxBox before I knew what was in it. When they put up the list of products/company info, I was surprised to see that they were going to be sending me an NYC HD Color Trio to test out. Of course, I was eager to see what colors I’d be getting.

Turns out, I was sent #781 Long Beach Sands to review. It’s a lovely color palette; neutral and light for a more natural look. Since it’s the kind of colors that I would wear on a daily basis, I was excited to try it out.


Packaging

The packaging is pretty simple, and provides almost everything you need. There are instructions on how to best apply the eye shadows, company info, a detailed ingredients list, and a double-sided foam applicator along with the eye shadows in a nice compact-style case. The only thing that’s missing is a little mirror.

NYC HD Color Trio Packaging

I don’t have anything to complain about with the case. The lid stays secure, even when the case is jostled around in my rather full purse; no surprise powdery mess to worry about. The plastic that it’s made of seems rather sturdy. Also,all of the shadows are set in place well. None of them have come loose.


Ingredients

talc, mica, synthetic fluorphlogopite, dimethicone, polymethyl methacrylate, cetyl dimethicone, aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, zinc stearate, hydrogenated polydecene, silica, alumina, methylparaben, propylparaben, camellia sinensis leaf extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, tocopheryl acetate, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, retinyl palmitate, tin oxide [May contain: iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI77499), ultramarines (CI 77007), titanium dioxide (CI 77891), FD&C Blue No. 1 Aluminum Lake (CI 42090), FD&C Red No. 40 Aluminum Lake (CI 16035), D&C Black No. 2 (CI 77266), FD&C Yellow No. 5  Aluminum Lake (CI 19140), Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Carmine (CI 75470), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510)]

Remember, the EWG Skin Deep Cosmetics Database is your friend, when trying to choose the safest cosmetics. After a while of researching, you’ll start to see commonly-used ingredients to look out for. All ingredient info pages have been linked to. Just click the grey text to take you there in a new tab.

I have to say, I’m not too pleased with the ingredients. Just glancing at it, the main thing that stood out was the parabens. EWG lists them as a high concern for endocrine disruption. In other words, they've been shown to mimic estrogen and cause potential hormone disruptions. Propylparaben is the worst of the two. The next ingredient that I generally keep an eye out for is dimethicone, which also isn’t that good for you.

As a whole, most of the ingredients are rated with a low to moderate concern. Since there’s no phenoxyethanol, I would assume that it wouldn’t cause problems for those with sensitive skin or allergies. However, everyone is different. So, I can’t say that for sure. I haven’t been able to test it on my eyes, due to recovering from health issues, but it’s caused no adverse reactions on my arm.


Colors

You can easily find swatches of the actual colors on NYC’s website. The eye that you see is just instructions on how to apply the trio. This is also printed on the label. You’ll find it when you peel it up, as shown in the photograph earlier in the review.

The colors on the eye below are from the West Vintage trio. Unfortunately the colors on the demo eye don’t change as you click on the various trios. However, accurate swatches of the colors, like the one below, do show up when you hover over the trios.

 

How to Apply NYC HD Color Trio

I love the colors in this trio, but they’re a little too close to my skin tone. The third one matches my skin tone almost perfectly, and looks like it just adds a little shimmer to my natural color. The first shade shows up bright and clean, and the second leaves a light cocoa powder sort of color

Due to pre-existing eye health issues, I haven’t been able to test these eye shadows for longevity and wear. I’m sorry. I know that’s a large part of cosmetics reviews, but my eye is still recovering from conjunctivitis. Since I’m not too comfortable with the ingredient list, I will not be updating with self photos and wear experience, as I will be re-purposing these shadows for an art project instead. I know it’s not the same, but at least you can see how it looks on my arm, and on the eye that I drew.

NYC HD Color Trio Long Beach Sands


Tips

Although the directions for applying the shadows does look nice, I prefer to highlight my eyes in a different way. When doing my makeup, I generally swipe a shade like the third over my entire lid, run the second shade along the contours of my eye socket to deepen the look, and finish off with a lighter shade, like the first, to brighten up the inner corners of my eyes.

Another method I like is along the same lines, but I like to put the lightest shade on the middle of my eye and gently blend it out, so there’s a bit of a highlight. This seems to make them look a bit larger.

I would demo these looks, but my eye health isn’t quite up to that yet.


Conclusion

It’s an alright trio of shadows. The colors and coverage are nice, when tested and my arm and on paper. However, I’m not overly impressed with the ingredient list. I’m sorry that I can’t give a more detailed review of how long it wears and if it creases, but my body is pretty sensitive still and, like I said, I just don’t want to chance things since I’m still recovering from the aftermath of eye health issues.

NYC HD Color Trio from Influenster JollyVoxBox

Thank you to Influenster for letting me review this for free. If there’s anyone who is looking for an invite to Influenster. Let me know!

 

 

FTC Statement: This product was provided to And The Dreaming Moon… free of charge for testing purposes. No compensation has been accepted. This has not affected the opinions within the review, and complies with FTC statements.

No comments:

Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Protection Software